1 2 - 2½ pound butternut squash, or other winter squash
Freshly ground black pepper
1 medium-size loaf crusty artisanal bread, cut into ¼- inch-thick-slices
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, diced into ½-inch cubes
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 lg. clove garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup white wine
8 ounces Fiscalini Lionza, grated (about 2 cups)
2 cups half and half
1. Sauté the onions and mushrooms.
2. Spread the onion mixture over layered bread.
3. Scatter the cubed squash.
4. Pour the egg and squash mixture all over.
5. Sprinkle cheese and bake. Strata is done when the filling is set.